Wednesday 11 March 2009

Moleskine ®, a notebook full of history or pure marketing

In my student days I was fascinated when I discovered the history that was hidden behind this simply notebook. A cleanly notebook yes, with a naked eye it seems a normal notebook with the only particularity that you can close it with an elastic rope. But behind this simplicity there was a good story to tell you.

Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)Notebook No. 53, June-September 1912,9 x 13.5 cmkept in the MuséeNational Picasso of Paris

All of this started when Bruce Chatwin made use of these kind of notebooks in all of his journeys, he always bought them in a stationery store in Paris, who was supplied by a stationer in Tours, France, until the stationer closed in 1986 due to the death of its owner who left bringing with him the secret of its manufacturing.
Artists such as Pablo Picasso, Vincent Van Gogh or Ernest Hemingway used one of these pocket notebooks to write draw, etc. But it is not tested that they used the same notebook, the
moleskine, (this word comes from the French spelling of 'moleskin', the cloth covering of it).
Some years later, an Italian company Modo & Modo, registered the name, the brand, and started to fabricate the product thanks to the description on B. Chatwin’s books.
The legend of this notebook probably started when the fabulous marketing campaign of this company, take this legend and started to buy this product more expensive than the rest of the same typology.
I have to confess that I use one of these notebooks. I bring it wherever I go, and I don’t know if it is for the legend or for the marketing effect, probably the second one.

Here's the notebook at present, Moleskine.

4 comments:

Nuria Vidal said...

I owe one of these too! I agree with you taht they are more expensive than similar ones. marketing, as you say!

A few things:
-this simple notebook (SIMPLY IS AN ADVERB! YOU NEED AND ADJECTIVE HERE)
-A clean(0) notebook(SAME AS ABOVE)
-when the fabulous marketing campaign of this company, TOOK this legend and started to "buy" ("?" I GUESS YOU MEAN "SELL", DON'T YOU?) this product more expensive than ...

-

Sand in my shoes said...

I love any kind of notebooks! I've a Moleskine too for travelling.

Sand in my shoes said...

I don't know why but when I see your name's blog I remember a Dido's song called "Christmas day". It begins...:

"The young gentleman came riding past
on a snow-blue winter's day
He asked to drink by our fire and
I was pleased to let him stay
He drank there quietly for a while
and then he turned and said to me".

I recommend it!

Sand in my shoes said...

Thank you for your warm comment!